Wizardquest Chapter 18: Cold Confessions

“Spear fighting? Whatever would you want to know what for Wizard?”

Tabitha had paused in the cleaning of her sword blade to stare at you, her brow furrowed. It was getting close to evening and instead of traveling the pass at night, you had decided to camp close to the waterfall and get a fresh start in the morning. Besides, you were all a little tired as it was, especially those who had been possessed earlier. Apparently having a ghost supercharge your libido was draining for the soul.

Who knew?

You shrug and point to your knife-stick. “Well, it became blindingly obvious during that last little encounter that I just don’t know how to use this thing. I know where the pointy end is, but that’s about it.”

{Thing huh…} grumbles Chaika from her perch.

Tabitha sighs and rubs at her eyes. “While I do know a thing of two about using the weapon, I’m by no means a master. Besides, isn’t that just your staff with a knife jammed into it?”


“Yeah I thought so.” Tabitha stands up slowly and stretches before sheathing her blade.

“Well, I suppose it still wouldn’t do for you to accidentally stab yourself or something. Come on, we have some time before the food is ready.”

You nod eagerly and follow her out to a spot beside the gently falling water into a small pool that reflected crystalline in the fading sun. Tabitha stretches and then takes off her coat, exposing her tight fitting shirt underneath as she puts her hands on her hips, tail swishing behind her.

“Right then, show me what you can do.”

You blink, a little off put. “I uh… Do what now?”

“Show. Me. What you can do.”

You look to Chaika and slowly pick her up in two hands before making a crude thrusting motion with the knife stick. Tabitha groans loudly before walking over and grabbing Chaika from your hands before smacking you upside the head.

You stagger back momentarily, your vision a little dazed as the blow rings through your head.

“What the fuck was that for?” You ask, more confused than angry.

“For being so terrible that I almost vomited.” She gently tosses Chaika up and down right feel the weight before gripping the weapon and twirling it about delicately around her body in swift, elegant motions before putting her weight into a forward step and thrusting the knife point to barely inches from your face.

{Boo.} Says Chaika playfully.

You take a step back and try to work your mouth before looking to the side and coughing to gain some time.

“I…I thought you said you weren’t a master of the spear.”

“I’m not.” Says Tabitha, tossing the weapon back to you. “But I know enough to know your form is miserable.”

She adopts a mimicry of a position with the spear level in both hands, the tip held perpendicular to her body, holding an invisible spear. “Stand like this.”

You look at her position and do your best to copy it, finding that the knife stick felt heavier than you expected it to in this position. You struggle to hold it right for a moment before you feel a solid bout of impact on the back of your thigh, causing you to stagger some.

“Did I tell you to move?” Tabitha breathes into your ear. When she got there, you had no idea, but you quickly adopted the same position as before and she grunts,

“Your legs are locked too rigid, loosen up and center your stance,” as she says this she taps you with what is likely some stick she found, and then, when she is satisfied, she backs away, studying you.

“Hrm… Passable, for now.” She adopts the same position as you, however much more smoothly and defined. “Now then, to thrust, you must motion with purpose and put your weight into the thrust, do you hear me?”

She takes her invisible spear and steps forward, dipping the spear somewhat before driving it forward which extreme force and impaling her invisible foe. She turns back to you and you gulp before nodding your head and doing the same, of course, as you do so you put too much weight forward and you, your spear point barely managing to avoid the dirt and your follow-through going wild.

Tabitha growls and you feel the sting of the stick again, “No, no, no! Do you want to die wizard, because that’s what this looks like to me!”

You look up to her, rubbing your back. “By the gods, Tabitha, what has gotten into you.”

Her eyes, filled with fire and rage bore into yours as she says with venom, “What do you mean?”

“I mean to say, you’re more intense than usual, owww.”

She blinks a few times before realization sets in and her eyes go wide. “Dear gods, I’ve become my mother.”

She stares off into space for few moments as you wince before unconsciously smacking you with the stick again.

“Did I say you could stop?”

You gulp again and assume the position. Why did you think this was a good idea again?

It’s about an hour of intense training later and you’re sweating buckets, despite the cold air, forcing you to strip off your robes, exposing your bare, muscled chest, The sun was setting by this point and you had only a small modicum of light to see by, but you still trained on. You thrust your knife stick into the air again, with great force, if not amazing precision. As you do. Chaika lets out a powerful moan in your head, followed by lewd sounds and laughter.

“Ohh, oh yeah, thrust hard wizard, again, again, faster! Ohhhh!”

Yes, it was really, really distracting, but you couldn’t afford to be done in by her annoying tendencies. As you perform one rather large thrust, much to the pleasure of Chaika who started to screaming incoherently for some gods damned reason, Tabitha claps her hands.

“Alright, that’s enough, you can stop you worthless maggot.”

She blushes and puts a hand to her mouth. “Gods damnit, I really have become her, haven’t I?”

You wipe sweat from your brow and sit down, breathing in and out. Yeah, you were fit and such, but you sure as hell weren’t used to this kind of weapons training. Hell, even a professional soldier would get tired after this, right? Right?

A canteen is thrust into your face and you look up to see Saya smiling over you. You blink and take the water graciously, guzzling the cool liquid down before you breath out and wipe your chin.

“Gaah, phew, thanks pumpkin, Daddy needed that.”

She smiles and takes the canteen back. “Well, you were training so hard, I thought you might need a little something.”

You smirk and look up to see Veronica, Hala, and Delilah sitting in the grass, smirking at you from a distance. You frown and you slowly pick yourself up, muscles hurting some as you limp toward them.

“Enjoy the show?”

“Oh you know it.” Says Hala from her spot. “It was too funny watching Tabitha smack you like that.”

“Hmm? What? I was watching something else.” Says Delilah, her eyes locked onto you. “Are you sure you need to stop? Maybe polish your form a little bit? I think you’d get better mobility if you removed your…”

She stops as Veronica drives her fist into the top of the head, causing Delilah of frown.

“Oh don’t pretend like it didn’t get the rest of you hot and bothered, and I don’t even have a cunt anymore.”

The two other women look at each other before Hala quickly scoops up the head and stands. Veronica waves a hand to you, shouting, “Uh so, food is ready I bet, best get to the campfire once you’ve uh… Yeah.” She looks to Saya and nods, “Come along dear, your father will be along shortly.

Hala rolls her eyes she walks off with the others, and you hear her say, “Maybe we can get Blake to spar with him…”

You sigh and rub more sweat away, the cold of the night breeze causing your sweat to feel almost chilly now that you were cooling down. You stretch and feet a powerful hand slap your back, causing you to grunt and turn to see Tabitha behind you, nodding her head.

“Good work out there.”

You nod your head and then turn back to see the others leaving again, leaving you alone with Tabitha. You sigh and address the lizardman.

“Hey Tabitha… Do you know what monsters are so attracted to me?”

She blinks a few times, looking blindsided as her face heats up some.


“You know, as a wizard. It’s like they can smell me out, and get really weird about it. You have any idea?”

“W…why would you be asking me that?”

“Well… You’re a monster too, and pretty level headed so…”

“O..oh! Yes!” She coughs into her hand before taking a breath. “Right, Uhm, well…” She scratches her cheek, seeming uncomfortable. “You… Have this smell that some can pick up on. It’s… Hard to explain, but… Imagine you’re really hungry and there’s some freshly… Cooked… Meat…”

She blushes up again and then turns about to grab her sword, turning back to the camp. “It’s not just you, Heroes seem to have a similar smell, or at least those like Blake….”

You cock your head, a little confused. Was she really getting that embarrassed by such a question? She rarely seemed to get embarrassed by much at all, except for maybe that passing the pipe thing earlier and you rub your chin.

“Hey Tabitha, one more thing.”

“Yeah?” She says, looking over her shoulder, eyes cast down as her face is residually pale.

“What does passing the pipe mean to you?”

Her eyes go wide and she flips about, holding her sword tightly. She fidgets for a moment before saying slowly, “Pipes in Lizardman culture are often filled with purple leaf, an… Aphrodisiac. We… Well, pass the pipe to our lovers and even when it’s not full of purple leaf it’s still an incredibly… Erotic act.”

She shudders, “Anyway! I’m going back to camp!”

And with that she dashes out past the little tree line and back to camp. You shake your head, and look at Chaika, sighing.

“Women, right?”

{I’m a woman too you jackass.}

“A little edgy, aren’t we?”

{Shut it, I’m a knife now. Besides…} she continues, trailing off. {That smell she’s talking about isn’t just your musk, it’s all your pent up energy, lusts, what have you. It’s concentrated in you, making you smell and feel particularly desirable.}

“Concentrated where, my jizz? Because I’ve masturbated before…”

She growls, annoyed, {There too, but im talking about within your spirit. The more you deny your inner lusts the more it builds and the more we… They are attracted to you.}

She mentally smirks, {Someone like the Hero naturally has high quality spirit and semen seasoned by his personality. You, on the other hand, are a keg of wine that grows better with age, and since your kind doesn’t see the world much anymore, it’s a hard treat to resist.}

“Hum.” You say, rubbing your chin. “I’ve met monsters who could keep their hands do themselves, but if you say it’s like that…”

{Make no mistake, any monster who is not happily wed lists after you, there is no exception. Some are better at hiding than others, but hell, you saw what happened when the lizard was possessed, how she tried to violate you? That wasn’t all ghost.}

You sigh and reach down to pick up your robe, working yourself into it. “Is there any way I can… I don’t know, mask my scent or something?”

Chaika chuckles, {You’d have to reduce your load there. You know, I’m quite willing to help you with that, and in exchange.}

“No.” You say flatly, finishing dressing and heading back to the camp. “Just, no.”

{Fine, if your precious cat means that much to you, have it your way.}

You return to the camp to find everyone sitting around afire as Blake spoons out some stewed fish into bowls. He hands you one as you approach and you sit back around the fire, digging in. The hero may have many, many issues, but gods damnit if he wasn’t a fabulous cook.

As you slurp your food, you look over to see Tabitha perfectly composed as she eats, apparently unfazed by anything. Hmm, it seems as though she is quite skilled at managing to keep her cool, you must really have flustered her. Chaika’s words flow in your mind and you frown, shaking your head to banish the thoughts.

“Alright!” Pipes up Blake from his spot around the fire. “We’re on the last leg of the journey. If the maps are correct and this pass is solid, then we should reach the keep in only a few days.”

“That’s not very specific.” Says Veronica as she munches on some bread.

Blake shrugs, “It’s the snow. It may not look like it now, but I bet soon after entering that pass we’ll start seeing snow and I can’t say how much it will slow us down.”

Hala nods, “Yeah, running through snow in the forest was always a pain, I can’t imagine how the poor horses must feel.”

At this, Mr. Ed neighs loudly and Hala begins to laugh, choking in her food a little before beating her chest to clear her throat. Tabitha merely rolls her eyes and Saya giggles.

You look to Blake and nod. “So once we reach the keep…”

He looks down, a grave expression on his face. “We’ll do what we must to enter and slay the lady. I can only pray we are too late, or that the other temple guardians aren’t present.” He grumbles, “If they are… Things will be much more difficult.”

You mutter under your breath, “You’re telling me.”

Supper was finished and in short order everyone was preparing for sleep. You drew your wards around the camp as the rest finished their chores and as luck would have if, you were on first watch Harmony. This close to the monster territory, you didn’t want to risk anything, especially if spooky scary ghosts were around.

Hala joked about the girls all going for a swim in the water before bed but was silenced by a smack from Tabitha. That water had to be freezing cold as it was, and jumping in would likely be a mistake. The poor wolf girl grumbled about her grand plan of catching Blake as a peeping Tom was ruined, but no one else seemed to pay her much heed.

You finish tucking Saya into bed before you settle down on a rock, your back to the fire. You huddle up some, for warmth in the dark night when Harmony sits down next to you, curling her legs up to her body and wrapping her arms around them.

“Copper for your thoughts?”

You sigh and rub at the back of your head. “Just.. That this is really it. We’re coming to the end of this crazy journey and…”

“Your scared?”

You shrug, “Well, yes, but it’s just…” You shake your head. “I don’t know.”

“You’re thinking about Selene, aren’t you?”

You shudder at the mention of her name before nodding your head slowly. “I just don’t know what I’m going to do if she’s there. I only wanted to get the ultimate elixir, but if I have to face Selene… I don’t know what I’d do.”

Harmony is silent for a moment before looking off into the distance. “When Lady Julianf asked you what you knew of love… You were being honest, weren’t you?”

“You actually love her, don’t you?”

You’re silent for a long, long time before you breathe out.

“Yeah. I guess I do.”

Harmony continues to stare out. “Wow.”


The two of you sit there for a long time before Harmony sighs. “You’ve really grown wizard, I want you to know that.”

“Thanks Harmony, that means a lot.”

She nods her head before letting go of her legs. “Right then, no sense in brooding, might as well do something productive with our time on watch.”

“What, like watching?”

“Oh come on, how often have you been attacked while on watch?”

“Uhhhh.” You say, scratching your chin. “Three times?”

“That’s practically nothing, come on there must be something to do.”

{You can start by keeping it down.} grumbles Bubs as he crawls out form your pocket. {Damn kids and their infernal racket at all hours of the night… }

{Bubs, you’re rat} you think back. {I’m also like, 15 times your age.}

{I’m basically ancient} replies Harmony through the mental link.

{I’m 273 years old.} says Chaika.

Everyone stops and stares at the knife stick, the spirit inside growling, {What the fuck are you looking at?}

{Uh… No, you look great for your age.} says Bubs slowly before crawling the rest of the away out and to the ground. {You uh, yeah you all showed me. Night night gramps, gramms.}

Harmony huffs as your familiar scurries off. “Such impudence from a rat.”

“Aww, but he’s so cute.”

She waves a hand, “Well no matter, the task at hand then.”

You rub your chin. “Well, I already started working on infusing some of Saya’s bones… Besides, I wouldn’t want to try to work on that without asking her. Would be really awkward if she woke up with my hand in her chest or something.”

Harmony chuckles, “True, true.”

“I was thinking about giving her the [Hakurai homing needles]. Allow her to stealth around and charge them up, might be useful, you know?”

Harmony nods. “Sounds good.”

You rummage through your [sack of holding +1]. “Uhh, well I should probably read this mental defense book at some point…there’s still the familiar book to finish out, I have some enchanting ingredients…. Oh, hello.”

“Hmm?” Asks harmony, looking over your shoulder.

You pull out six glass orbs and place them on the ground. Harmony cocks her head. “Those are… What did you call them, bitch balls?”

You succeed in keeping your face straight, despite the absurdly rising notion to laugh your ass off, and you nod your head.

“That’s right. Never really used them before, might as well.”

“You charge those with magic and they discharge it later, right? What’s the point.”

You tap your nose, “It’s for the normalfags.”

She stares at you before nodding slowly. “Ah, of course. A little help of you can’t be there.”

You nod and pick one up. “Exactly.”

You cock your head slightly before feeling out the magic inherent in the item and where to channel into. Closing your eyes you slowly channel rage and power into the ball and it softly glows to life with a red flame that increases in intensity the more you charge it. As you feel the orbs limits press in, you cut off your power and stare down at the orb, feeling a mild warmth in your hand from the charged ball.

In quick succession you charge another with fire, two with electricity, one with ice, and then the last you attempt to fill with disease but find that you just can’t. Unfortunately the magic involved there acts upon things and is not an end onto itself so you’re forced to have another ball of ice. Meh, Still good.

>You lose your 6x[Uncharged bitch balls]

>You gain 2x[Flaming Bitches]

>You gain 2x[Frosty Bitches]

>You gain 2x[Shocking Bitches]

You’ll divvy these up tomorrow, but for now… Meh, let’s read through [Defensive Magic Volume 3]. Volume 2 was getting boring anyway.

“Welcome to the final installment of this three part series on defensive magic. If the reader recalls, in the final words of the second volume, the concept of the inner guardian was discussed, and in this volume this concept is expanded upon.”

“The central tenement to mental defenses is that the true path of resistance is in your own mind. While technically a metaphor, it’s always quite real! Mental magic often takes root inside the mind of the target and twists their perceptions or inserts ideas. The most pronounced of this is the illusionists, but even suggestive whispers and lesser emotional magic can have devastating effects as well.”

“The inner guardian, is created by the practitioner as discussed before, by using mana and their concentration to form a manifestation of their guardian. Many choose something like a knight, or a wall, but anything can really fit the bill, as long as it is applied with the proper precision and will. The practitioner must create this being based on the need to defend their mind. Anything else will cause a non-functional form to be created and can possible lead to nosebleeds, headaches, or sudden death.”

“When assaulted by mental magic, the inner guardian may be used to locate, isolate, and render the magic impotent almost independently of the practitioner, as long as they continue to upkeep mana for its creation. While there are other uses for such a creation, this is its main purpose as described in this book. When used in conjunction with a proper circle, counter circle, and raw grit, a nigh impregnable defense is formed.”

You close the book and ponder over this. [Inner Guardian] huh? Hmm, you couldn’t really think of what you’d like to make into a guardian at the moment… Eh you’d sleep on it.

Harmony looks over at you once you finish and is about to say something when Bubs chimes in, {Hey, your watch is over… Burgle…}

You stand and stretch, Harmony aborting the gesture and going to wake Hala as you groggily head to bed, mind full of all sorts of thoughts and emotions. It was going to be hard getting to sleep you felt…

Getting to sleep was rather easy actually, and as morning came on by you groaned, feeling your muscles aching. All for the sake of progress… Ugh.

Camp is quickly broken down and you hitch up the horses, heading on up to the path. You end up giving Saya the [Hakurai Homing Needles] and instructing her in their use before giving out the various bitch balls. The others seemed either curious or dismissive of the balls, and you had to keep Hala from chewing on hers. Regardless you felt you gave them out appropriately and that at least Tabitha and Veronica could use them appropriately,

But back to the pass, it was a narrow trail at first that was large enough for your wagon and not much else, but after a few hours if started to slope upward while opening up widely into a much less narrow pass. Blake was on edge the whole time, his vigilance increasing with the drop in temperature until you pass through a thicket of evergreens to see in the distance a light coating of snow around a veritable sea of snow capped mountains.

Your party stops, taking in the beautiful sight as the noon sun shines down onto all of you, casting a sheen of brilliance over the land. Even Tabitha had to admit it was beautiful, even though she started to shiver despite the thermal undergarments. You smile, reaching an arm around Saya and pulling her in close as she views the wide barrier that separated the monsters territory from humanity.

“It’s beautiful Dad…”

“Yeah… It is.” Guess some things you just couldn’t get on the communion matrix, huh.

Soon enough, it was time to go on, and as you trundle forth, you notice out of the corner of your eyes gathering clouds on the horizon…

“Fuuuuccckkk.” Says Tabitha, huddled into a ball. “This is why lizardmen don’t live in snow.”

She glares outside the wagon as a heavy dusting of snow falls from the afternoon sky, the clouds rushing in faster than you could have expected. You felt the cold a little more acutely now too, especially after it sleeted some, but you held Saya tight as a small lantern burned in the center of the wagon.

“Oh?” Asks Blake, huddled in blankets at the front of the wagon. “Is that so?”

“Unless we’re chasing a man.” Tabitha says, forcing Blake to tip his head.

“Shhh.” Veronica cuts in, looking nervous as she whispers, “Don’t be so loud, don’t you know about Avalanches?”

Hala cocks her head and asks loudly, “Avalanche?”

Veronica slaps a hand over her mouth, causing the wolf to growl under the hand while the aspirant explains. “An avalanche is where tons of snow is dislodged from a mountain and rolls down. It’s very, very dangerous and loud noises can echo here and cause one, okay?”

Hala nods her head and grumbles as Veronica leans back. “Let’s just get through this and find a safe place to camp.”

Everyone else nods in agreement and Blake pushes the horses forward through the accumulating snow. You sigh when Bubs perks up.

{You hear that?}

{What?} you ask, straining to hear anything.

It comes to you a moment later, like a loud echoing bellow that washes through the pass, chilling everyone’s hearts. Blake pulls the horses to a stop, listening as the echo reverberates through the pass. For a moment, nothing is heard but the creaking of leather and the sound everyone’s breathing.

Then another bellow echoes through the pass, louder this time, and you feel the ground around you rumble and shake. Veronica’s eyes grow huge and she screams, “GO GO GO FUCKING GO,”

Blake doesn’t need to be told twice and he drives the horses forward, practically forcing them to run as you see behind you snow falling from the pass behind you in every increasing amounts. Your heart seizes up as it starts to get close, fast and faster. You shout back to Blake to speed it up, but you know it won’t be enough.

Gritting your teeth, you channel [Ice]through Chaika to try and stem the flow of snow, and it succeeds, but not by enough, and you’re quickly brought to your limit as the tidal wave of frost threatens to engulf you. Saya grabs onto your leg and screams, forcing your heart to gain in resolve and you power through the magic again, slowing the tide as Blake screams about the edge of the pass and how you’re almost there!

You can feel your consciousness slipping as you stem the tide, and the world becomes darker, darker, darker, until you feel yourself teeter and fall out of the wagon, where only darkness and cold await you….


Everything was very warm and fluffy, Infact that’s all that you can feel, a warm, fluffy pressure upon you. As your mind starts to come back to you, you remember a similar sensation and your heart races, quickly bringing you into focus.

“S..Selene?!” You shout, turning about in anticipation to come face to face with a large grin. You look down to see that what you thought was Selene was actually a pair of white, fluffy arms that were holding you in a warm embrace to a well endowed chest.

The monster nuzzles your cheek and smiles again before speaking a bubbly voice “Selene? Nope, I’m Fran! Welcome to my cave, my soon to be lover!”

“Uh… Wha, gah!” You groan out as your captor gives you another full-bodied squeeze, causing you to break off mid sentence.

“Hehe, aww you’re so cold, here let me warm you up.” The monster says, holding you even tighter.

You move to struggle against her, but find that she’s just so damn warm and fluffy. You pause in your struggles and just… Take a moment to appreciate your situation. First off, realize that you actually were bone cold, a situation being remedied by her cuddling, and secondly you were naked.

Craning your neck you spot a fire in the corner of the rocky cave you were in, your clothes and Chaika sitting around it, dripping small amounts of water as they dried off. You try to remember why you were here. You recall a yell followed by an avalanche, using your magic and then… Nothing. Clearly, you must have fallen in the snow to be so soaked, but how did you…

“You know…” Says Fran, “You’re pretty lucky to be alive, that Avalanche should have buried you alive. I’ve been holding you like this allll night long and now it’s morning!”

She beams, “But that’s not enough to stop little old me, no sir, like my old man always said, ‘if there’s person to be Savin then as a yeti, ya gots to do it.'” She puts on a thoughtful look, “Course that’s how me mum met him, saving him from being lost in the snow, darn wendigos chasing him and such. Nasty business those wendigos are you see.”

“Uh… Yeah…” You say, struggling to find a better position, even if the one you’re in is super comfortable as it is. “You took my clothes off then?”

“Well sure, you were gunna freeze with them on, and besides you’ll get much warmer like this,” she blushes and you feel a little twang through you at the sight. Or maybe it was just the proximity of your body rubbing against her warmth that made blood rush hot through your body, and in certain… places.

You struggle against her so that your blossoming erection wouldn’t be in contact with her skin and she makes a sound of annoyance before adjusting her grip.

“You’re not warm enough yet! I can feel it in ma fur, come on, just abit longer. You’re not afraid of little old me, are you?”

You feel your face heat up. “Uh, no, not really, I’m just a little… Uh, uncomfortable being so close is all.”

She blushes, “Oh? I’m making you uncomfortable?” She presses in close and her eyes go wide as your manhood slides against her thigh.

“Ohhhhh.” She says, her smile growing wider. “What’s this? Could you have gotten that because of meeee?”

You blush even more and try to push out of her arms. Oh shit, shit shit, Damon your body betraying you in this situation. You’d have to scold it later, because this was not ideal in any way, shape or form.

“Oh ho, someone’s getting a little frisky.” Fran coos, before removing one arm to trade a finger down your cheek. “I like that in a man. Course you’re the first one I’ve seen besides my pa, but my ma told me all about what to do.”

“I think you’ve got the wrong idea, this isn’t what it looks like.”

“Well, I haven’t seen one before, but I’m pretttty sure I know what a penis looks like.”

You groan, preparing to have to cast magic to get yourself out of this, which of course ruins your diplomacy. “No that’s not what I meant, its uh, it’s not for you.”

Smooth as silk.

She frowns, “Not for me? But… But you…”

“Sorry, I guess your hug just reminded me about someone else is all.”

Her frown turns into a crestfallen look. “O…oh. Someone else like a… Wife?”

“No, no, I don’t have a wife!” You blurt out quickly, your concentration now shot.

“Then… Uh, what is it called, a girlfriend? That’s what humans say, right?”

“I… Uh…” You fumble with the words for a moment before sighing. Why were you getting so worked up? You just admitted last night that you loved Selene and yet you still got worked up about it? You really were a wizard.

You pause and take in a deep breath before exhaling softly. “Something like that.”

“I…see.” Fran mentions, slowly letting you out of her arms. You stumble onto the floor, your balance all wonky due of being held for so long, but you soon get your feet under you and you nod your head to Fran.


She waves a dejected arm at you. “Yeah yeah, that’s fine. It’s part of the job I guess…”

You rub the back of your head, feeling a little bad for the girl. Here she was, all alone in the mountains, helping those in trouble, and looking for love. Of course, since people don’t come out here too often, it kind of ruined that for her, huh?

You sigh and fold your arms. “Damnit… Look, I didn’t mean to come off like that or anything, I just… I’m already taken.”

She nods, turning around, “Yeah, I get it.”

“Look, I’m thankful for what you did, really I am!”

“Sure, sure.”

You look to the side and sigh before taking a deep breath, walking up to the girl, and giving her a big hug from behind. She gasps and stiffens as you press yourself onto her and she starts to shudder before saying in a broken voice, “T…thank you.”

“I can tell you’re a good person, and you just want a little love is all. I know it’s lonely, living here on your own, trust me I get it, but if you keep believing someday, I’m sure you’ll meet the right guy.”

She sniffs before turning about and hugging you again, tears coming from her eyes.

“B..buh! That’s the nicest doggone thing anyone’s ever said to me! W..wahhhh!”

You pat her arms, trying to push away. “It’s okay, it’s okay, don’t cry.”

She lets you go again and you stagger back. She smiles and wipes at her eyes. “You’re a good guy mister?…”


“Mister wizard. You’re right, I think I’m going to just buck up and keep my spirit as hard as uh…” She motions to you and you look down, remembering you’re naked and at full mast before gulping and covering your shame.

She giggles. “Your clothes should be dry soon. What are you going to do now?”

You shrug and walk over to the fire, the warmth of the Flames not even close compared to that of Fran’s hug. At least your pants were fairly dry and you slip them on before poking at your robe, meh, it was pretty dry on the outside since it was waterproof, but the inside was a little damp… Maybe some warming spells….

As you ponder this you answer the question, “Well, I’m going to find my companions and get back to our quest.”

“Ooo, a quest? Whatcha doing?”

You pause and then turn back to yeti, asking carefully, “How do you feel about the Monster Lady?”

“The who?”

You blink, frankly a little confused, “You don’t know who….she’s the leader of the monster horde and…”

Fran waves a large, fluffy arm. “Yeah yeah, I don’t know much about all that. Think my ma may have talked about it once, but I haven’t heard much about no Lady.”

“Huh, well, anyway she’s moved to an old fortress around here and we’re sort of…” You roll your hand, “trying to stop a war.”

She frowns, “Well that’s a noble goal and all, but fortress? You mean that big ol stone place out past the frozen lake?”

You blink, interest keen, “Sorry, what was that?”

“Yeah, big old place about 2 days away from here, maybe a little faster if I take my sled. Old, old place, get a bad feeling about it.” She rubs at her cheek. “Now that I think about it, there’s been something flying around there recently, didn’t much feel like making myself known, right? Figure maybe it’s one of them manticores that roam around here.”

You rub at your cheek. Manticores don’t… Actually fly, that you know of, but sure, why not, let’s not correct the girl, it’s probably better that way. Flying though… It couldn’t be the… Lady? Dragons could actually fly, right?

“Hmm. Thank you for the information.” You say as you along your robe on. Ugh, it was still a little wet, but it’s fine. You couldn’t be sitting around here anyway, despite how warm and inviting the little place was. You search out with your mind and find that Bubs still has a connection, so at least the others got out, but once again it was faint and far away, getting closer at least. Maybe the pass was blocked out or something, you didn’t know, but sitting here wouldn’t get you anywhere. Besides, you could make fire, what did you care about the cold?

You pick up Chaika and the knife stick is just laughing her ass off. No words, just laughter. Bitch.

You look again to Fran and bow. “Thank you for everything, and good luck.”

She walks over and hugs you again. “One for the road!”

You pat her shoulder and she smiles, waving at you as you head outside the cave. You brace as a gust of cold wind pushes through, rustling your clothing and causing you to fold in on yourself some. At least it had stopped snowing, but there was still a veritable sea of powder all over the mountaintop and you sigh before channeling fire through Chaika.

“Alright, let’s get going then.” You say to the staff.

She just keeps laughing at you.


A few hours later, still feeling cold despite the heat from your staff, you reach the top of a hill and sink down next to a fir tree, getting your breath back. Thankfully you had your [Pocket dimension] with you and you pull a heated bread pouch out, taking a bite as you look down the hill to a small stream running through a small valley. It was funny how idyllic the scene was. Hard to believe that there was a homicidal dragon and her guardians out here, hells it was hard to believe that half the shit that happened to you was real as you look out to see the scenery.

You take another bite, the steaming pouch filled with… Hrm, tangy sauce grilled beef, and sigh. The others were getting closer, but they were still a ways away. With the sun still high in the sky, you felt a little rest was warranted. Stretching back, you chew on your treat, watching the river flow when you notice something… Off.

Taking another bite your look down at the abnormality and notice it’s… A person? No, not a human but… It obviously had two arms and legs, but it’s arms were massive compared to the rest of its body. Obviously it was some kind of Monster, but one you’d never heard of before. It didn’t seem to have noticed you, so you slink down into the snow, trying to hide yourself over the snow bank and get a better look.

Of course, the details were a little fuzzy, but you could make out a slender body female body with long, furred goat legs and two, mismatched arms. One was covered in scales and ended in large talons while the other was a fine lion’s fur that ended in oversized claws. She had two wings, one small and draconian, the other oddly jointed and furred. She had a beautiful, serene face with long goat ears and a rack of curling reptilian horns that matched with her sinuous tail.

As you look, you try to see more about what she’s doing there, but it’s just too far away. You finish chewing your last piece of bread pouch before quickly casting a [remote sentry] to get a better view.

As the spell comes into focus on a tree about 50ft away, you see the monster quickly snap her gaze to the device, then to you, picking you out from the snow in an instant. You curse and pull back, getting ready to run when you hear a popping noise followed by multiple zipping sounds.

You turn about and come face to face with the monster, who looms over you, hovering gently in the snow. Your mouth goes dry as overwhelming power flows through the monster before you, almost literally freezing you in place. Your eyes grow wide in horror as she raises one of her large arms, placing the tip of a claw do your forehead.


You feel a surge of panic flow through you and then everything seems to jolt out of focus as you feel something probing your mind, taking through your thoughts. You groan at the intrusion, and twitch as your memories are invaded like books in a library. No… Damnit you didn’t want this to happen, but what could you?…

Suddenly, you remember what you had just read in the defensive magic book and you Marshall what concentration you can to form something… Anything to repel this invasion. As power flows through you, you feel something form in your mind, a strong light that coalesces into a radiantly armored knight that stands firm before the intrusion, thrusting it back with with a sword of pure light and cooperation!

Your vision snaps back into place, thanks to your [Inner Guardian], and you watch as the monster slowly retracts her claw, staring at it before looking back down to you. She just stares at you, and you notice for the first time that a tears were trickling down her cheek this entire time, making lines down the otherwise neutral visage. You slowly make to back away when she raises the other hand and brilliant purple light forms into a ball in her hand.

“Fuck me…” You whisper as she goes to throw it when a loud, bellowing shout echoes through the mountains.

“Thiiiirrrrddddddd! Return to your Lady!”

The monster looks off toward the sound and then back to you. You breathe rapidly through your nose as she seems to consider something before slowly lowering her hand, the light winking out. She turns from you and begins to float away into the distance.

You watch her with your eyes as she vanishes off before the popping noise sounds again and she seems to blur in motion as she zips away through the air toward a distant shape flying through the sky. You lay there, a cold sweat on your brow as you pant furiously. Oh gods, that was…that was a temple guardian and…. and she had just probed your mind before leaving to see what was only the Monster Lady herself.

A cold dread that has nothing to do with the weather washes through you as you grab Chaika and run through the snow toward your party.


You reach them as darkness comes down the valley, being found again by Hala was “getting sick of this shit.” You find out that they had made it through a narrow section of the pass, causing the snow to back up and secure their safety but since the area was covered in snow it was impossible to get to you. It seemed that Harmony and Bubs figured out you were alive and moved the cart around to get a better vantage do search for you, having to stop when night fell or risk more trouble.

Saya gave you a mighty hug when you returned and you told them about your little adventure with Fran, leaving out the nude part, and then why’s you learned about the fortress and your run in with Third, the chimera. The others took is very seriously, especially since you had no idea how much information she had stolen from you.

“We’ll just have to keep the plan how to was. It’s too late to turn back.” Blake says, holding his hands together before him as he speaks. “At least we know the lady is still here, there is that.”

“I suppose…” Says Veronica, pushing at her meal. “That chimera sounds… Dangerous though.”

“We’ve done dangerous.” Says Hala, waving her paw. “It’s fine, we’ve gotten through some tough stuff before, we can do it again.”

Tabitha pushes down her cap before sighing, “Hala… I hope it’s that easy, I really do.”

Everyone is silent after that and the warmth of bed is little comfort against the coldness that everyone felt at those words. As you lay in your bedroll, having drawn the night off, you stare into the clear sky of the moon overhead, your thoughts still full of turmoil. If Blake was right then you might reach the Fortress by tomorrow which meant… Well one way or another, this was adventure was reaching the end.

Ahhh fuck this, you couldn’t sleep with all this stress, even though you knew you needed to. Sighing, you rise out of your bedroll, wrapping your robes around you against the cold and leaving Chaika down near your bedroll before you walk over to Veronica, who sat next to the fire, staring off into the distance.

“Where’s Harmony?” You ask, taking a seat next to her on a rough log Hala had found earlier in the snow. The construct was supposed to be the second person on watch at night, seeing as she couldn’t sleep and all. Well, you could deactivate her like in the mansion, but she seemed terrified by that prospect. So… You chose not to do that.

“Hmm?” Says Veronica, looking up from her helmet that she was polishing. You didn’t see her wearing the thing very much, but considering that things were about to get hectic, it seemed prudent to take all the precautions she could.

“Oh, she went to grab fuel for the fire, probably shouldn’t be too long.” She looks raises an eyebrow, “shouldn’t you be asleep though?”

You shrug, “Can’t, nerves.”

She chuckles softly, “Yeah I understand that.” Taking a deep breath she looks wistfully off into the night. “It’s hard to believe we actually made it, what with everything that’s happened.”

“Like that boat ride?” You ask, smirking

“Or that horrid carnival.” She quirks back before sighing, “Even Cair… Sorry about all that still.”

“Eh. I said we wouldn’t talk about it.”

“Right, right.” She murmurs, looking down.

You rub your hands together over the small fire, the warmth suffusing your frozen fingers. You sit there in silence for a moment before shaking your head.

“You know, when I first met you, I thought you were some ,Holier than thou’ stuck up bitch with a complex for Blake.”

“Wow, that’s the kindest thing I’ve ever heard.”

“Yeah, well through all of this, I’ve really come to understand a little more about you. That underneath that exterior you try to put up, you’re a kind, caring woman who does her best in the only way she knows how. Someone who fights for the good of humanity, sacrificing her own joys for that of others.” You smile, looking into her eyes.

“You’ve really changed my opinion about the Order and the chantry a little. Kind of makes me sad there aren’t more people like you.”

She just stares into your eyes, her mouth hanging slightly ajar for a long while before she blushes furiously and starts to polish her helmet again.

“I…idiot! S..saying something like that before a big battle, are you trying to trip me up?”

You chuckle as she gets flustered before leaning back and staring up into the night sky. Gods, but it was sort of magical to see such a clear night full of stars. Again, so sharing you’d never get to see at home, huh?

“Hey… You know, my opinion of you has changed also.”

“Oh? You say, looking back to her. She’s blushing some, looking down mainly, but her eyes flick up to you every so often.

“When I first met you, I thought you were… You know, just some foolish shut in sorcerer who didn’t know how to talk to people, especially women.”

You shrug, “You aren’t wrong.”

“Shush. Now, through all this, you’ve done some… Questionable things, but when the chips were down, you’ve always come through for us.” She shakes her head. “We literally wouldn’t be here without you.”

Taking a deep breath she looks up into your eyes, hers gleaming in the firelight, features seeming far more delicate and exposed than you’d ever seen before.

“Thank you for everything.”

You feel your own cheeks heat up before you nod your head to her slowly. Despite everything you’ve been through, those words really threatened to send you back to spilling noodles everywhere and you start to say something before coughing into your hand and mumbling, “Uhm, yeah thanks….”

She chuckles, “Ah, now that’s the wizard I know.”

You roll your eyes as the sound of crunching snow heralds harmony returning with an armful of sticks and other scraps of wood for the fire. She looks between you two and cocks her head.

“Am I interrupting something?”

You and Veronica share a look before chuckling together and you wave a hand at Harmony. “Oh, it’s nothing.”

Harmony stands there for a moment before shrugging and kneeling down to feed the fire, stoking it to sparking life once more. As you bask in the warmth, Veronica stands and stretches, her armor clinking some.

“I think it’s about time for Hala to be up. I think I’ll go get her.”

“Hmm? Oh, alright, have a good night.” You say and wave at her as she moves to waken the wolfgirl.

“What’s going on wizard?”

You look over to Harmony who has her arms crossed, tapping her foot in the snow. You blink and quirk your lip.

“I should ask what’s going on with you? It’s nothing anyway, I just couldn’t sleep and was chatting with Veronica.” You smile. “You jealous or something?”

She huffs, “No, of course not.”

You chuckle, “Look, I was just telling her how much I appreciated her is all. This whole, final battle thing, felt like I should speak my mind, you know? Never know what could happen…”

“Oh…” Harmony says, looking into the fire. She fidgets some, before whispering, “Do you think we could really die here?”

“I guess? This is the monster lady and her temple guardians, if there was any place we would die…” You shake your head and look up at Harmony, “Look, Harmony, I know you’ve come all this way with us, but for most of it you were trapped in that staff. Now that you have a body you… You don’t have to do this.”

Harmony is silent as she continues to look into the fire. “Do you want me to leave?”

“What? No, of course not, you’ve been amazing, probably one of the best things to happen to me, and not just because of your magic. You’re probably one of the kindest, most level-headed people I know.”

She turns her head up to you. “People? Even after all this, you still think of me as a person instead of some imprint of a dead bird?”

You put a hand on Harmony’s, feeling the chill of her adamantium skin against your warm flesh. “I never knew the original Harmonius, but I do know you, Harmony, and I’ve never thought of you as anything other than a person.”

She shakes her head, whispering, “You know what the greatest flaw in this construct is?”


“It can’t cry.” She pauses before sighing and looking up. “I’ve been in your mind Wizard, I know what you’re saying is true, but hearing it… For some reason makes it so much more real.”

“Well, it’s true.”

“Oh I know, I know.” She looks down to you. “Guess I know what Veronica was feeling there.”

You cock your head. Huh? Oh well, whatever. “Alright then, I guess. What are you going to do?”

“I’m staying.” She says, resolutely.

You nod your head. “What if I asked you to go?”

“Would you?”

You pause, looking down and wringing your hands. “I’ve been thinking about Saya and… How I don’t think I want her in this.” You sigh. “If I asked you to take her from here, would you?”

She hesitates for only a moment before saying, “If that’s your wish. I owe you too much to say no.”

“Thanks Harmony, that means a lot.”

“Heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy, you two seem real chummy tonight.” Says Hala, placing her paws on your shoulders.

Your spine stiffens and you feel your muscles tighten as the wolfgirl puts her face in close, smiling. “Oh don’t be like that, I heard everything anyway. What a nice guy you are wizard.”

“That was a private conversation!” Huffs Harmomy as the wolfgirl sits down on the log, wiping some snow out of her fur.

Hala shrugs, “Yeah, well maybe you shouldn’t be so loud about it.” She smiles wolfishly and bats her eyes at you.

“What nice things do you have to say about me Mr. Wizard?”

“You’re a cock gobbling mongrel who eats food off the floor and doesn’t know a shred of manners or propriety.”

She looks away, waving one paw while covering her face with the other. “Oh my, I’m so embarrassed, that’s just too much for me.”

You roll your eyes and exchange a look with Harmony who shrugs before you poke the smiling wolfgirl on the forehead, only causing her to smile even wider.

“Fine, you want some heartfelt bullshit?” You say, taking a deep breath. “Hala, I first met you as a starving mongrel out in the woods and… Well, I was a little scared of you. But I guess I was scared of all women to be fair. So when you went for Blake, I have to say I felt relieved and a little annoyed I suppose.”

“I watched as you went from a scared, hungry monster to come out of your shell and be a fierce, feisty, and funny woman who’s lack of decorum may be embarrassing…” You cough into your hands, “and arousing, but you always managed to make us smile, even if it was with a groan.”

She stares as you continue, “I know I got a little upset with you over the whole… Blake thing, but you know what? I’m glad your with him. You make him happy and he makes you happy and that’s what matters here. I can see it in his eyes every time you get hurt, and every time you happen to eat with your hands at the dinner table.”

You scratch your chin. “I’m not sure how much sense that really made, but Hala, despite everything, it’s been good having you around, and I hope that after all of this, you can live a happy life with Blake.”

Harmony and Hala both stare at you as you cross your arms and sigh, “That feel good enough for you.”

Hala blinks a few times before reaching up and wiping some tears from her cheeks, doing her best to smile, “Yeah! Yeah that’ll work, heh.” She sniffs and then jabs your ribs, “arousing huh?”

“Yes, I heard that too.” Says Harmony.

You cough, looking around you. “Uh, well, you see, look, you have a nice body and it’s hard to deny it, but I’m not saying anything about and…”

Hala leans over and kisses your cheek, causing you to shut up. “It’s fine, I understand. Thank you wizard, for saving my home, my love, and my life.”

She then pokes your nose and before pulling back and stretching. “Ugh, I am going to rip that bitch of a monster lady’s throat out for making her lair all the way out here, it’s cold as balls.” She cocks her head, “Actually I don’t get that one, balls are really warm, especially when you put them in..”

You hold up a hand. “Yeah yeah, okay I get it.”

She giggles and leans back, “Shouldn’t you be asleep?”

You shrug, “Too much on my mind.”

“Huh, well why don’t you just write down your thoughts.”

You cock your head, blinking, “I’m sorry, what?”

She blushes, “it’s something Blake does. Has a whole journal he’s been keeping.”

“Of course he does…” You mutter before thinking about it. You know, this whole… Adventure, man this would make a fantastic Cyan rune story. You nod to Hala and then look back over at the wagon, standing up.

“Thanks for the idea, I think I’m going to do that.”

She smiles broadly, sniffing. “Well, I do have a very refined mind.”

“Don’t get too high and mighty there wolfy.” You nod to Hala and then to Harmony. “Have a good evening.”

The two wave at you as you walk over to the wagon, sitting on one of the benches and pulling out some crystals and your [Port-o-glass], booting up the magical systems within. When it starts up, you search for a leyline and find… What the fuck? The Groodle tether? All the way out here? How?… The implications of this were staggering in that humans must have lived around here and needed immense magical conduits to draw this out here.

Well, ignoring all that, you jump into the communion matrix and start a new matrix, weaving runes to begin your tale about a wizard who had an unexpected guest…

You barely notice when the sun starts to rise and Blake knocks on the side of the wagon. You blink and look up at him, rubbing at your eyes. “Huh? Blake?”

He sighs, shaking his head. “We’re you up all night?”

You look down, seeing a few new weave appear on the glass.

>inb4 OP gets fucked by a dragon.

>OP is a faggot who loves a cat.

>Why didn’t you fug the frog? Fucking best girl you fucker

>I liked the bear. Id hold her hand.

You shake your head and sigh. It’s been a good time with these bastards as you detailed your adventure, but by the gods it had taken hours. You didn’t even realize how long you’d been at this, but wow… It’s been weeks.

You look down at the screen, before typing one last reply and powering down the magic of the glass. You stretch and then put the glass away, speaking to Blake. “Yeah, I was just, you know, journaling our adventures is all.”

Blake narrows his eyes and then looks to Hala. “I told her not to say anything…” He shakes his head. “Well, it’s fine, not that it really matters much. Anyway, are you going to be alright? We need you at your best when we do this.”

You wave a hand, “I’m fine, I’m fine, don’t worry about it, this is nothing.”

He nods, “Alright, well, let’s get ready to move out, we can talk about our plan of attack as we ride.”

He turns to go when you hold up a hand, “H..hey wait.” He turns around to you and you take in a deep breath. ” You remember when you asked me back in Derrick if we were friends?”

He nods and you close your eyes before giving him a resolute stare. “Blake, despite our differences, despite some of our… Altercations… I…” You take a deep breath. “I would say we are friends.”

Blake stares at you, eyes wide. It’s like he didn’t expect this at all! Geez. He rubs at the back of his head. “Thanks wizard. I… Well I honestly didn’t expect to hear that from you.”

You raise your eyebrow. “Oh? Why not?”

“Well… You always seemed kind of… I don’t know.” He rubs at the back of his head. “Awkward around people?”

You chuckle, hopping down out of the wagon and slapping his shoulder. “Well of course I am. I’m a fucking wizard.”

He searches your eyes before smirking. “I’m glad you’re here wizard.”

“And I’m glad you’re still the same ol’ Blake.”

He blinks as you walk away to go sit next to Saya, helping her wake up. She stirs gently in her bedroll, her solid form a little sludgy, but forming back as she awoke.

“Hmm? Daddy?”

You smile and stroke her hair softly, as it fully comes hair anyway. “Hey pumpkin, good morning.”

She smiles up at you and yawns before stretching, then sits up, jiggling a little. She looks down at herself before concentrating and then becomes fairly solid before nodding. “Good morning. How are you?”

“I’m great, thank you.” You say, Patting her head. “Hey now, it’s time to get ready for the day.”

“We’re going to beat the Monster Lady, right?”

You rub at the back of your head before sighing. “Well, yeah, that’s the plan anyway.”

Saya cocks her head in concern and you shake your head. “Don’t worry about it pumpkin, it’s fine. Get your stuff ready.”

She looks down and then nods her head, “Okay,”

You watch as she rolls up her bedroll and helps with breakfast before shaking your head and packing up your supplies. As you do so Tabitha walks up to you and puts a hand on her hip.

“What’s that about?”


“You heard me, you’re acting strange around the girl.”

You blink and then look back at Saya before sighing. “I’m thinking about sending her away with Harmony before the fight.”

“Uh huh,” says Tabitha, looking at the girl who was cheerfully stirring a pot under the supervision of Blake. “Like you could do that.”

You frown at Tabitha, “What do you mean?”

She shrugs, “You’d tear yourself apart if you were away from that girl.” She smirks, “Much, much different from the Wizard I first met anyway.”

“Oh lord, did they tell you about last night?”

“Not in so many words, and I don’t want any sappy speech about how I’ve grown on your eyes. That’s just asking for something bad to happen.”

You finish wrapping up your bedroll before you pick up Chaika and hold out a hand. “Well, if that’s the case, then I’ll just keep quiet about how much I respect you as a warrior and as a person.”

You turn to go she catches your arm and you turn back to her, eyebrow raised.

She looks away for a moment before grunting and looking into your eyes, “Go on.”

You shake your head, “Well, I suppose I’d also keep quiet about how I really appreciate your training and your impartial thinking, your martial skill, and your commitment to your values.”

She quirks her lip. “Is that so?”

You raise a finger, “Of course, assuming I spoke up about such things.”

She shakes her head. “Well, I suppose I’ll have to keep quiet about how I think you’re a great warrior. Strong of mind and body, if a little strange at times, but has a good heart and a powerful will.” She shrugs. “If such things were said.”

You smirk, “Oh, well, I’m glad we aren’t saying that then.”

She outright laughs and then, the biggest surprise of them all, walks il and hugs you tightly. “Me too wizard, me too.”

You’re totally caught off guard before she lets you go and resumes her normal, impassive appearance. She nods to you before pulling down her cap and returning to work on breaking camp. You rub at your cheek, watching her go and remarking on how tender her hug was,

{Uh huh, sure, leave me in the snow all night and go around professing your heartfelt love to alllllll the ladies,}

You blink and look to Chaika as she considers, {And the men I guess. Kind of weird how you get along with Blake, but it’s kind of hot.}

You roll your eyes, {Do you want me to praise you snake-tits?}

You pauses for a moment before murmuring, {Maybe a little… }

You chuckle, {Fine. Look, I don’t appreciate how you try to twist me into darkness, but since you’ve come to speak with me, I have appreciated your sense of humor, your personality. Even though in life you were some kind of homicidal snake lady, I think as you are now… Well, I’m glad your here.}

{Heh, is that so? You’d even forgive the one who tried to kill you?}

{Well, technically your just the impression of a dead lamia, so…}

{Bahhh…} Chaika begins, mentally dismissing you, and continuing on. {Do you know why I went to Varruck?}

You cock your head, thinking. Huh, you never really asked before, you just sort of… Thought she was always there.

{Uh, no?}

She mentally sighs. {Well, originally I was a priestess of Dollora under the Monster Lady.}

Your attention suddenly stiffens. {What?}

{Not the current one kind you, her mother. She was a more… Gentle soul than that brat. Regardless, I did my best to counsel them on the best way to further Dollora’a goals and the world of monster-kind. Hell, I even loved for awhile, but in the end my true goal was to be the High Priestess.}

Her voice goes icy cold then, {Of course, that’s when Tolosh beat me out for the position. She forced the rest of us to follow her version of Dollora’s word and to focus upon monsterization and the Black Arts,}

{Wait wait,} you say, confused {But you murdered, transformed and enslaved people, what the hell?}

{True, in my rage at being defeated, I left south and started a little crusade to fight against her, forming up an army in the kingdom of man} she sighs, {Of course, then that bitch tricked me and chained me to a wall for years and years.}

You shake your head, {Is this story supposed to make me feel sorry for you? That you were beaten back and forced to enslave an entire town?}

{No…} She whispers. {It’s just to let you know who I was.}

You sigh and shake your head. {I see.}

{Do you think less of me?}

You shrug, {I know who you were, and I know who you are now. You’ve saved my life and are someone I consider a friend. I understand that you did some terrible things before, but what you’re doing now… Well, that’s what matters.}

{You’re going to make me emotional you dumb wizard.} Chaika says, mentally treading up.

{Seems we’re a little late for that one, heh?}

{Yeah…heh,} Chaika says before taking a deep, figurative breath. {Right. Well, glad we had this conversation.}

{Your an odd one Chaika,}

{The name is…} She pause. {Actually, forget it. Chaika works.} You feel a sense of ease and perhaps happiness in there as you shake your head and wander over to pick up Bubs, who was hiding in a pile of refuse. You sigh and pull the rat out as he whines in your head.

{Nooooooooo. Let me sleep another five minutttessss}.

{Bubs, you sleep on the wagon.}

{So what? Now I’ve lost 5 minutes of that time.}

You sigh and rub at your forehead, {Fine, whatever, I’ll need you at your best when we search for the elixir.}

{Hmm? Not kill the Monster Lady, but search for the elixir eh?}

{Yeah, remember that’s our main goal.}

{What about your lover eh?}

You pause before taking a heated bread pouch out of your [Pocket dimension]. {Heeeeey, who wants a Bubsy snack?}

The rat eyes you, giving you a “Really, faggot?” Look before rolling his eyes and jumping over to eat the bread pouch. As he munches he thinks, {You can’t run away from this you know.}

{Yeah yeah…} You say, rolling your eyes before becoming a little more seriously. {Hey Bubs… Are you happy being a familiar?}

{Hmm? Yep, mhm.}

{Are you sure? Do you… Regret being through all this.}

Bubs sighs and then looks up at you, shaking his head. {Look, Wizard, I could have run away at anytime, it would have been easy, hell I could have rejected your spell of make me like this, but damnit, you’re my bro and my boss, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.}

He chews on the pouch. {Besides, you feed me well, so whatever.}

You roll your eyes and pet his head, causing him to squeak in delight before you finish with breakfast and everyone loads up in the cart. As you sit down, you notice Delilah staring at you, eyes blazing.

You look around at the others, them offering no help before you cough into your hand.

“Uh… Yes Delilah?”

“You fucker. I was in this fucking wagon all night and you didn’t say a gods damned word to me.”

You rub the back of your neck. “We…well, I was busy you see…”

“Uh huh, sure.”

You sigh, pinching your nose. “Delilah, I’m sorry alright?” Feeling the power of tiredness and your emotions on edge, you don’t just leave that there, “I’m sorry as well for destroying your body, for putting you in this position, for asking so much of you.”

You chuckle, shaking your head, “And yet, despite this, you still helped us in the manor, hell you haven’t even tried to kill us recently, and I thank you for that.”

You shake your head. “So, maybe when this is all done, I’ll find you a new body or something. If all goes well, we may have a glut of corpses as it stands.”

She rolls her eyes. “Fine, whatever. I just wanted to rustle you anyway.” You notice she’s blushing some and and you sigh before reaching over and ruffling her hair, causing her to squeak.

“H..hey!” She says, blushing more. “Stop that! I am the night!”

You chuckle and lean back from the annoyed Dullahan, who puffs some hair out of her eyes, grumbling about how this was an inJUSTICE and that she didn’t actually enjoy this and whatever…

You shake your head and see Saya next to you wino gives you a silly look. You roll your eyes and rub her head as well, much to her delight. You smile widely before you remember what you wanted to say, something important, and as you rubs subside, she looks into your eyes, seeming concerned.

“Something wrong Daddy?”

You rub your head before sighing and looking into her eyes. “Saya… Look, sweetie, you know I love you, right?”

“Of course.”

“And I don’t know what I’d do if you got hurt….which is why I want to ask something very important of you.”

She studies your face as you take a deep breath. “Saya, I want you to go with Harmony and not enter the keep with us.”

Everyone goes quiet as Saya looks up at you, judging you. You feel your heart bearing faster as one eye starts to shift to spider like before switching back as she takes in a deep breath of her own.


You pull back, spine stiffening. “What if I didn’t give you a choice?”

“Then I’d find a way out. Miss Harmony is strong, but she can’t stop me.” She gives a toothy grin. “No one can keep me from you.”

You sigh and shake your head, “Saya, this is going to be very dangerous, any of us… Me included, could die.” You grit your teeth, “I couldn’t live with myself if anything happened to you.”

She puts a hand to your cheek and smiles. “Daddy, please don’t worry about me. I know I’m your little girl, but at the end of the day I’m just some mixture of monster parts. I’m a killer, regardless of whatever else happens and… I accept that.”

She shakes her head, “What I can’t accept is to let you go alone, worrying if you’re alive or dead. Without you I’d be lost and alone in this world. I… I might slip again if that happens and… I don’t want to hurt people again.”

Tears appear in her eyes and she looks up to you. “Please don’t make me go.”

You breathe in deeply before pulling her into a big hug where she starts to cry into your chest as you look up, trying to keep your own tired emotions in check. You rub at her head before kissing her hair and whispering softly, “I love you.”

“I… I love you too Daddy!” She wails as she cries even more. Everyone else looks on with appreciative eyes, but you ignore them, your world focused on Saya as Blake starts the wagon forward, plodding through the snow up to the keep.

A little while later, Saya has fallen asleep again and the others are talking to themselves, you find yourself with some extra time before Blake’s little battle plan speech, and you figure you could do some last minute preparations. You don’t have time for much, not really, but you can do some. So, before the keep comes into focus…

You decide that checking over your equipment sounds like a good thing to do at the moment. Not like anything else was really happening as people were a little too on edge to really… Banter.

You look over your [plague doctor mask] and make certain its sealed and tight before checking the condition of all your potions, finding them to be quite well sealed and ready, before looking at the [Chilled semen] in mild disgust. Chaika seems to perk up some when you pull it out and Delilah gives you a sidelong glance, lingering on the vial before you put it away. Thirsty one, isn’t she?

You pull up the [Wightsbane] and check over it’s edge, seeing that it was still quite sharp and menacing before sliding it onto your belt next to your mundane knife, which was maintained well enough, at least when you had Tabitha sharpen the blade, which she seemed to do for most of the bladed weapons in the group beyond Lionsedge, which never needed to be sharpened.

Heh, your [Hexagrammic wards] were still there, but they’d probably be quite useless in this keep ahead unless there were minions about or something, but come now. Come now. As you look over your [Robes of protection] you notice Tabitha looking at her sword with consternation and you cock your head before looking around and seeing Veronica polishing her mace once again. You wonder why Tabigha would make such a face when… Oh.

You cock your head and then motion it Tabitha. “Let me see your sword.”

She blinks and then narrows her eyes at you before looking over the blade. “Why?”

“It’s obvious you want an enchanted weapon, so come on, give it here.”

She frowns but slowly hands over the blade as you pull out your [Wizard’s chalk] and start to inscribe the [Sigil of fire]. As soon as you finish the last line and infuse your power, the Sigil shines brightly before fading away into the metal. A moment later the blade ignites into flames, causing everyone to jump back, cursing as they try to not be burned.

You sit there, flaming sword of fire in front of you face and you chuckle. “Wow. This is really fucking hot.”

Tabitha growls and snatches the blade from you, her eyes dancing in the firelight of the blade. She looks it over before quickly sheathing the blade, causing it to extinguish the flames. Everyone looks between you and Tabitha, the lizardman staring at you for a long while, causing you to sweat a little.

“Wizard…” She begins. “Am I a Salamander?”


“Then why would you give me a flaming sword?”

“B…because I thought you’d like it?”

She narrows her eyes at you, causing you to shiver some before she smiles at you. “Well you were right. I do kind of like it. Good for you, because if you had ruined my blade I’d have killed you.”

You wipe your brow before looking down, a little terrified. She might well have done it!

You look up and notice that the wagon has stopped moving, and you look over to see Blake shaking his head toward you.

“I think this is a good a time as any for a rest stop.”

You pull over near a small copse of trees, thankfully under a fair sky, although it looks like the clouds may pull in soon. Everyone takes a small little food break, stretches, etc, and you sit there, rubbing Saya’s head. She giggles some, making you smile as you stare out into the wilderness.

{Hey faggot} says Chaika from beside you.

You don’t even turn to her as you answer in reply, {Yes my angry little snake?}

{Give me some of that semen.}

You roll your eyes before looking over at the knife stick. She pulses with a cool sense of restrained need, as if she was dying to try and force you to give it to her, but was somehow keeping herself from going full tyrannical bitch. It warmed your heart some to see that she was learning so very much!

{Hrm…} you think. She did deserve some kind of reward for being so good recently, and she has been a little starved for the white stuff. Maybe she did deserve some kind of treat, and it’s not like you were going to use the stuff yourself.

Yourself… That thought somehow took you down a path of concern. This place would be full of the most powerful monsters in the world ready to kill or rape you, and not to mention Selene herself. The thought made your loins stir some and you had the sudden fear that if in the heat of battle you were to be distracted or taken advantage of because of your, uh… “Aura” then you’d be in some deep shit.

You seriously consider this as Chaika grows ever more impatient next to you. You can practically feel her frustration rising as you consider your options, and right before she would burst in anger you stand up and grab her, shuffling uncomfortably.

“Something wrong Daddy?” Asks Saya, looking up at you.

You look down at her and smile, shaking your head. “It’s nothing pumpkin, be a good girl and wait here for abit while I run and go do something.”

She nods her head and looks back to the [Hakurai homing needs you gave her, along with the knife she was given from Veronica earlier. You feel better knowing she has weapons at least to defend herself, although in all actuality her own body was far more lethal.

You sigh and walk over to grab a bucket from the wagon when you notice Delilah staring at you intently. You feel mildly uncomfortable as you take the bucket out of the wagon, and as you turn to leave she whispers, “Going for a little wank?”

Your spine stiffens and you look back to Delilah who’s lip is curled up as she speaks up some. “How about you take me along and no one else needs to know, hmm?”

You look around before hissing, “I can’t do that, they’ll know!”

She smiles broadly, “Not if I remove all the evidence.”

You groan as she rolls her eyes, “Or I could tell them what you’re doing, undermine their confidence in you after your big speech and…”

You throw up your hands before scooping up the head. “Ugh, fine.”

She just smirks and chuckles, “Death always wins out in the end.”

You grumble, trying to fumble the bucket, staff, and head, finding it rather annoying yo do so. Everyone watches you with rather surprised expressions as you try to do this silly feat and after a few moments Veronica walks up, rubbing at the back of her head.

“Wizard, what the hells are you doing?”

“I’m uh, going to get some water.” You lie, like the smooth fox you are.

“With Delilah.” It wasn’t a question but an accusation.

“I wanted done fresh air.” The head says, meeting the aspirant’s gaze. The two narrow their eyes at each other, their expressions oddly similar ad they try to somehow out glare the other.

Eventually Veronica throws up her hands. “Fine, whatever, but you’re going to spill the water if you keep fumbling like that, so leave your staff here.”

{Why don’t you leave your stupid whore m…} Starts Chaika before you cut her off with a very stern mental backlash. She grumbles as you address Veronica again.

“I’d rather have it in case anything happens out there.”

Veronica shakes her head before seeming to think a moment and then sighing. “Alright then, let me see the head for a moment.”

“I have a name you know.” Mutters Delilah as Veronica takes her up and fishes out some rope from the wagon. She cuts out a small amount of the rope before expertly tying some elaborate knot work around the head and then cinching it to your belt, forming some kind of morbid little sling.

You stare in wonderment, sharing a glance with Delilah before you both look to Veronica.

“Huh, well, this will… Work.” You say, your motion causing Delilah to sway some in a kind of nod.

“It’s acceptable. Where did you learn such skills anyway?”

Veronica blushes a little before looking away. “I…may have been the daughter of a fisherman.”

Blake pops his head up from the papers he was writing on. “A damn fine one at that. Occasionally we’d go out and catch fish for the order in our early training together and…”

Veronica rushes up to him quickly and puts her hands on his mouth, blushing furiously. “Don’t tell them that!”

Blake pulls back, giving his million gold smile, “But you were so feisty that day we caught that snapper, and I remember when you fell into the…”

She groans, pushing at him and the others chuckle before she turns about, glaring to you. “Just get out of here!”

You shake your head before turning about while Veronica huffs and fake punches the poor Hero. As you pass by Saya she looks up at you, eyes hopeful.

“Can I go with you?”

Your heart cracks some, and you chest feels like a sledgehammer hit it as you grunt. “No, I’m afraid not this time.”

She pouts, flicking at some snow. “Oh fine.”

You put down the bucket and rub at her hair, causing her to smile some before you start your trek again over to a little bend of the river running through here. As you get out of sight of the camp, Delilah perks up some.

“That would have been very awkward.”

“What?” You ask, a little annoyed.

“Jacking off in front of your daughter. I’ve heard of worse but.”

You violently shake the head, causing her to look around in confusion for a moment as she tries to orient herself before glaring up at you. You just shake your head and keep walking. She stares at you before sighing.

“No jokes when it comes to that one, huh?”


“Oh very well then. Still, what’s made you decide to release a little?”

You grow silent for a time as you set your back to a large tree near the river. With two flicks of your wrist you cast some quick [Remote sentries] to make certain nothing comes upon you as you… Get busy. Seeing and sensing nothing, you sigh and detach the head, staring into her eyes.

“What, are you going to kiss me or something?” She says flatly, although you swear you can see a glimmer of surprise in her eyes. Man, fucking monsters.

“You wish. Anyway, look, it’s only because I don’t want to be so full of what monsters crave and maybe clear my head and…” You cut off there, looking off to the side as you grumble.

Delilah looks at you critically before narrowing her eyes. “And what, wizard?”

“Nothing. Look, let’s just get this over with.”

“And WHAT wizard?” She repeats with more force.

You pull back, blinking at the unusual amount of vigor she displays. “What’s got into you all of a sudden?”

“You’re hiding something.”

You narrow your eyes, staring at the Dullahan. “We’re all hiding something, it’s the nature of our beings.”

“True, but what I’m hiding is my natural instincts to magically bind you, roll over and suck your cock into oblivion, but at least I’m honest about it.”

You blink, seeming surprised. “Uh, what?”

“This is something emotional isn’t it? I’ve seen people in every sort of emotion, seen their inner psyche before they die, heard the whispers of the dead. I know that you’re keeping something from the others, what is it?”

You grunt and start to fumble at your belt. “Look, just let me get this over with…”

“Keep your pants on.” Delilah snaps.

Your eyes go wide at the command, utterly shocked at her tone. The head glares at you, eyes nearly on fire in the snowy ground. You lick your lips at the force of it, slowly removing your hand from your belt.

{H..hey! Don’t let that head stop you! Come on, you were so close to…}

{Please. Not now Chaika.} You whisper in your mind, causing her to go silent.

You look down to Delilah before sighing deeply. “Don’t tell the others this…” You look down and tighten your grip on Chaika before saying softly, “The temple guardian, Selene? I… I love her.”

Delilah stares up at you, silent as the grave for a long time, a chill wind flowing past and causing your robes and her hair to swing in the breeze. Finally, she grunts out, “Heh, a wizard who loves a monster. What a world.”

“Don’t tell the others, it… I might make things complicated and…”

She closes her eyes. “Oh I won’t tell them. You will, although when is up to you.”

“I…” You begin before looking down. “I don’t know.”

“Well, whatever then, either you will or you won’t, but let me tell you that if you don’t, things will be very, very complicated for you.” She looks over at the river. “Come on then, let’s get this water and go.”

You blink, looking confused, “Wait, you don’t want?”

She huffs, “Of course I want a steaming hot stream of freshly milked love nectar, but what’s in your sack doesn’t belong to me, does it?”

You… Well honestly you’re utterly shocked by this revelation. That a monster would outright refuse when offered was… Well, you frankly didn’t expect it, especially considering how much she had practically bullied you for the stuff. It kind of made you realize just how seriously many monsters took such concepts.

But with that thought, you felt the blood rushing through your body. For Selene huh? Would she even want that from you? You felt your cheeks heat up as you imagined her eyes sparkling in delight as you removed your pants, exposing yourself to the…

You feel a shiver run down your spine. No… No you couldn’t just… That was unwizardly, even if such thoughts had run through your head more and more often. To be certain, you were scared. The thought of Selene’s warm body against yours, he fluffy tails draped across your arms as she brought her face to yours…

“Of course, it seems like you’re just going to let some out as it stands.” Mocks Delilah, forcing you to snap to attention.

“What? Oh, no, I just…”

She chuckles. “Oh you can, if you want, but wouldn’t it be so much nicer to save a nice, big load for her?”

You grunt, picking up the bucket and walking through the cold snow to the river, scooping some into the wooden contraption before turning around. Delilah just keeps chuckling as your cheeks grow ever more heated.

“Oh I’m only playing with you wizard. Geez. Look, we’ll just forget this happened huh?”

You sigh and shake your head. “Fine, fine.” Looking over at the head you take a deep breath and then reach into your bag, pulling out a vial of [Chilled semen]. Muttering, you cast a small fire spell to warm it up gently to a nice body temperature before leaning down and offering the vial.

“Here, at least take something.”

She looks at you curiously before smirking. “Thanks. Put it up to my lips.”

You take the cork off and put it up to her lips where she runs her tongue slowly over the lip of the vial before slowly closing her eyes, pulling the vial in with some suction, gently and smoothly using her mouth to, well, please the vial. You feel a little hit and bothered by the expert way she uses her tongue to take up the contents, gently and smoothly draining the vial of its warm contents as it flows into her.

When the vial is finished, she slowly lets it go before hanging out her tongue, a small strong of thick saliva stuck to the lip of the vial before she pulls it back in, making a pleased face.

“Mmm… An excellent vintage.”

You cough and wipe the vial off as she seems to bask in the afterglow, her magical power seeming into increase before you eyes. You gently look away when you feel Chaika burning up beside you, but not saying anything. It’s weird, she was so gung-ho before, but now she was practically as bashful as a schoolgirl.

{Chaika…} you think, pressing into the knife stick. {Do you want some too?}

She mentally fidgets. {Yes…}

{Say please.} you press.


{Please what?}

She pauses for a moment before practically screaming, {Please give me some of your hit, sticky jizz!}

Your eyes fly open wide and you practically choke at the surprise of those words. G…gods what the fuck? It was utterly ridiculous, but just…woah.

You gently pull out a vial and warm it up, Chaika looking on eagerly as it reaches the right temperature. Of course, you remember, she can’t feel heat or anything, but hey, whatever, she’s been fairly good. When it reaches a nice heat you take the top off and then pause.

{How I am to do this anyway?}

{Just pour it all over me.}

You feel your heart skip a beat at such a lewd request, but you take the vial and slowly pour it’s milky contents over the knife, the blade practically shining as the stuff runs over it.

You think it yourself, maybe this was an odd idea, when you notice that the semen began to be absorbed into the blade itself, Chaika seeming more and more animated with every drop that flowed into her. You cock her head as the last of it flows into her, and you cough into your hand,

{Enjoyed it?}

She coos out, {Wonderful…}

You shake your head, “Okay that’s enough erotica for me today, let’s had back to camp and…”


You pause, looking at Delilah who sighs out, “Are you truly ready for this fight?”

You rub at the back of your head and sigh, “I guess I’m as ready as I can be, I don’t see what much else I can do.”

“Are you certain you don’t wish to learn dark magic?”

You pause, thinking about it. Dark magic was… Very powerful, you’ve seen or firsthand, but to use it would leech off your own energy. Doing so could be dangerous, sure, but this WAS the final battle, certainly you could spare to…

You remember Selene’s warnings and her face when you were first under Chaika’s influence. You didn’t want to see her like that again, not for anything. You close your eyes and shake your head to Delilah. “No, thank you.”

The Dullahan closes her eyes and then sighs out slowly. “Very well then. At least you have your morals. Come then, let me teach you a spell of thy lord.”

You blink, looking incredulous. “A… A spell of Nerg?”

“Plagamancy, aye. This spell was forbidden in the lands of men for centuries, and as the art of Plagamancy has been lost, so has this.”

“What….what is it?”

“[Fester]. It is a spell which can only be used against those who already have disrupted humours, however it focuses upon these faults and rips the humors apart from the inside, destroying them. Used in a living being it almost invariably leads to a messy, painful death.”

You blink then grit your teeth, feeling a little uncomfortable. “Look, that sounds… Well, devastating, but I’d already have to mess with humours and that’s… Well, it’s gotten more difficult.”

She sighs, rolling her eyes, “As well it should be, this isn’t something for the weak to play at, you must be committed if you wish to use this spell as it is literally a finisher.”

She locks onto you, eyes narrowing, “What’s it going to be?”

You grip Chaika before sighing, “Teach me.”

>You learn [Fester]

>Using your Plagamancy, humours which are imbalanced already are stressed by your pathogens to the point where they explode in the body.

>In most cases, causes outright death.

>You don’t want to be one of the other cases

About an hour later you wander back into camp with the bucket, looking exhausted. You set down the water and plop down, feeling your exhaustion flow through you.

Blake grunts as you appear. “We almost sent out a search party for you. What took you so long?”

You wave a hand, “Delilah was quite the chatterbox.”

The Dullahan huffs as you take her off your belt. “Don’t try to pin this on me.”

Blake merely shakes his head. “Well, now that you’re all here, I wanted to go over our battle plan.”

Everyone seems to perk up at this Blake holds up a sheet of paper detailing drawings of some kind of structure. It wasn’t complete, but it also looked rather old, of the yellowing of the page meant anything.

“I recovered this from Lord Highfield back in the capital. It’s an old detail of the Keep of the Forgotten. It’s incomplete however, either other parts on pages lost to time, or just never finished, but what we do have is the bottom floors.”

He points to a few sections on the page. “There are three ways into the Keep. The front bridge, the aqueducts, and this escape funnel.”

“The front door is, of course, out of the question, and the aqueducts sounds like a great way to die of hypothermia. Which leaves the escape tunnels. Fortunately the chances of the monsters knowing about this is slim as these things are usually hidden very, very well, but if they suspected us entering, it would be from here.”

Tabitha grunts, “Sounds like our best bet anyway. We can flood the tunnels with magic if we need to also.”

Blake nods, “Yes. Now then, the rest of the keep…” He points to the drawing, “I believe our best bet to find the Lady is to go up through these service passages. Sadly I do not know where they lead to, but I assume it would allow us to at least make it to the next floor before a proper defense can be mounted.”

He passes the page around and when it gets to you, you search for any signs of a chamber for the ultimate elixir… Nothing huh. Well, that would be too easy.

When it reaches Blake again he sighs and tucks it away. “We don’t know much else beyond that. I won’t lie, this will be difficult. At the very least we know that one temple guardian is there, but if the other two are also present, our bets course would be to isolate and destroy them one by one.”

Your feel a pang in your chest as they talk about killing Selene, but you keep it to yourself. Now wasn’t the time to tell them… Was it?

“How do you suggest we go about fighting them?” Asks Veronica, a stern look on her face.

Blake shrugs, “I’m not certain. We don’t know much about Chimera, and it sounds like this one is powerful in magic. We will have to be very careful how we handle her.”

“And the other two?” Cuts in Hala, curiously on her face.

“Well… As for the high priestess I believe if we destroy her hair, we should be able to remove her effectiveness. The hunter though…” He shakes his head. “Her power is said to be immense.”

“I’ll deal with her.” You say quietly. Everyone looks to you with curious expressions as you look into Blake’s eyes. “She’s mine.”

Blake searches your expression for a moment before he narrows his eyes and takes a deep breath. “Very well then…” He says, before turning to the others. “The Lady, as a dragon will be strong, fast, and tough. We’ll have to work together to take her down, but Lionsedge should be more and capable of cutting through her hide.”

He smiles, his expression like a bright flame in the darkness. “We’ve come a long way together everyone. This is the end of our quest in sight, don’t lose hope and believe in yourself and the others. We will win and stop this invasion.” He closes his eyes, “We must win.”

Everyone nods their head at this, understanding the importance of his words. You had to win or else this one really could spell the end of the world everyone knew, and your party understood that. But you… You still had your other goal at hand and it wouldn’t be fair not to at least give some warning…

“Hero… Blake. There is something I must tell you.”

“Hmm?” He says, looking at you.

“Inside this keep, there is an artifact of great power to a wizard. When we enter the keep, I believe I may be able to track it down and..” You take in a deep breath. “If I believe to have found it, I will have to disengage from the party.”

A cold wind blows through the air as Blake lowers his head. “I figured as much. I always knew you had a different purpose for being here.”

He stands straight and then nods to you. “Well, we will appreciate your help throughout regardless. Thank you Wizard.”

Everyone else nods and murmurs to you before Blake claps his hands. “Let’s pack up, not too much farther to go!”

Everyone springs to do so, and as you place Delilah in the wagon, you feel a hand on your shoulder. You turn around to see Veronica staring at you, her eyes searching yours. “Are you really going to just leave like that?”

You nod your head, “It’s very important.”

“More than that of ending the life of the Monster Lady?”


Veronica let’s go of your shoulder before sighing. “Very well then.” She merely turns about and starts loading up her gear, not saying anything else. You grit your teeth. Damnit, you didn’t mean for it to seem so callous but… Damnit.

A short while later everyone is on the wagon, which does its best to churn through the snow. Once again a quiet has descended upon the wagon, wether or not through your words or Blake’s, but obviously their minds were elsewhere. You feel sleep pulling on you, but you also know that there is much more you could do to prepare yourself for the upcoming battle.

With a sigh, you pull out [Defensive Magic Volume 3] and continue to read where you left off.

“With an inner guardian summoned, the practitioner can now fend off mental attacks, or can they? The inner guardian is quite adept and defending from attacks within the mental sphere, but only when they actively are inside the mind. What about those which affect perceptions or are too hard to detect? A crafty sorcerer can enter the kind of even a defended person and slip in, doing their work before the practitioner ever notices!”

“The obvious choice for this is an over watch of sorts by the inner guardian. By projecting the guardian, at the cost of a hefty amount of mana, the inner guardian will proactively search for and eliminate mental attacks before they enter the mental sphere. Note that this can drain mana very quickly and has no physical application, even if the manifestation can appear visible to the eye.”

[Manifestation] huh? You close your eyes and focus on your [Inner Guardian] and the form of a shining paladin of light appears in your mind, his helmeted head still somehow smiling at you. You concentrate on this being and it seems or shimmer, as if understanding your will and for a brief moment, you can swear it was floating before you, staring at your physical eyes before it vanishes into nothingness.

You blink, woah, that was trippy as hell. But probably very useful! Probably.

>[Manifestation] learned!

>Your [Inner guardian] may now take on an astral form, visible to the eye in order to proactively defend against mental attacks

>warning, it is draining

You lean back, puffing. Well, that’s most of what you could probably get from this book, there was mention about possibly having the Inner Guardian fight, but it doesn’t really to into that in this book, much to your disappointment. Oh well.

Reaching into your bag, you thumb through [Plagata de Roux] and find little else but some notes about various plagues. While morbid, it’s of little use to you. Oh well, it was a primer anyway, not designed to be a full textbook or anything.

You look at [Familiarity whir your Familiar], but can’t summon the energy to read through it just yet. Infact, as you think about it, you feel your eyes slowly begin to drift downward, feeling the weight of the world start to slowly pull you down into a thick haze of sleep…

You awaken to a rough shove and you blink awake to see Tabitha shaking you. “Wizard, come on, it’s time to get ready and go.”

You shake your head and look about, a little confused. “Ready to go and do…” You silence yourself as you look outside the wagon. In the near distance, looming on the side of a cliff-face was a massive structure carved directly from the dark rock. The sheer scale of the place was imposing as hell, with multiple towers, crenellations, and ramparts, but what really chilled your bones was the cool ebb of power that leaked from it in small waves.

The snow had begun again and you shivered from the cold. Blake had pulled the wagon into a small copse of trees next to a cliff face, doing his best to try and make a warm spot for the horses, but he could only do so much.you hope Mr. Ed would be okay…

You gulp, sliding down from the wagon to stand next to the others as they put on all their gear and prepare supplies for the trip in. You nod to each of them, and then go to make certain Saya is ready. You find Harmony fussing over her and you smile, getting a reaction from the girl.

“You sure about this?” You ask, and she nods her head.

“Dad. Please.”

You bow your head. Of course she was ready.

Finishing his task Blake takes up his gear and nods to the rest of you. “Alright, let’s do this.” He turns about to lead the way when you hear that same bellowing roar as before the Avalanche, but this time more… Feral in a way, more monstrous. Everyone looks at each other nervously, but Blake pushes on, not showing a hint of discomfort.

The trek through the snow was arduous and more than once Someone tripped and fell, but about an hour of travel, as the sky was darkening, you reach the edge of the cliff near the back of the mountain. Blake grunts as he searches about, cross referencing the diagram and the surroundings. You have a fear well up on you that perhaps Blake had been duped, that there was no secret entrance, when he chuckles and pushes on a piece of rock.

The wall of stone seems to just… Shift inward, opening up to a gust of drafty air, causing Blake to stagger back some, holding up an arm. Everyone becomes tense as this happens, but when no threats appear, Blake smiles and nods to enter.

The tunnel was large enough of fit three people abreast, and your for sitcom had Blake and Harmony at the front, with Veronica behind them. The tunnel was a simple thing of carved stone reinforced with brick columns. Due to the darkness, Harmony carried a lantern, the soft light echoing in the chamber. Everyone was on their full alert, you scanning for magic while Hala sniffed the air, but neither of you were getting anything at all. Which was good! Scary, in a way, but good!

The tunnel seemed to stretch for an eternity, nothing changing, and the longer you were there, the more oppressive the air felt. It was.. Disturbing in a way. You feel a shiver go down your spine as you hear a small skittering noise and look down to see a rat who was not Bubs squeak away into the darkness. Ugh your nerves.

Blake looks down at the diagram and frowns. “We should be reaching a larger intersection hallway soon, and then it’s not far to the service tunnels, just a little farth…”

Hala growls, and the party immediately stops the moment you feel a magical force ahead. You whip your eyes forward, scanning, but seeing nothing yet.

“Grrrrr, three humans ahead, although they aren’t quite…” Hala scrunches her nose. “Right.”

Everyone looks to each other before nodding and dashing forward as a light appears ahead growing bright and brighter until you enter a large chamber of rock and brick, where three men stand.

Each man was tall, muscular, and scantily clad, despite the cold. One man had a sword in a hand, doing a strange pose with a knee up in the air, another a spear he held behind himself while he was crouched, the third an arcane looking book held in a hand while the other covered his face,

The said nothing as you approached and spread out into the room, watching the strange display. You look around at them, still as statues, but obviously watching all of you. As you look between your group, you notice with surprise that Blake’s eyes are wide, his mouth open while Veronica looked on in furious rage.

“Chad? Todd? RJ?” Blake says, incredulous. “W…what are you doing here? I thought you died in Galmathoria!”

One of the men, the one with the sword smiles. “Blake, bro, it’s good to see you again!” He slowly shifts his position, the other two moving in synch with him. “Of course, it’s a shame we’ll have to kill you here, but Mistress Tolosh told us to.”

LackingFairGoodExcellentPerfect (9 votes, average: 4.89 out of 5)

3 thoughts on “Wizardquest Chapter 18: Cold Confessions”

    1. Oh hey! Thanks for reading these, sorry for not commenting until now. I love seeing the emails with your comments, it really brightens my day. I’m sorry about the poor grammar and spelling, I will edit them out someday, but that’s directly how they were from the threads and the broken ipad they were touch screen typed on.

      Hope to see you at the end!

Leave a Reply